Help keep our Hauraki Gulf islands pest-free
Our vehicle and passenger ferries are licensed by DOC and the Auckland Council to visit pest-free conservation islands and other islands in the Hauraki Gulf.
Prepare for your trip by being alert for stowaways such as: Argentine ants, rainbow skinks, soil, seeds, mice or rats.
Protect our wildlife:
- Make sure all food is packed and sealed in plastic rodent proof containers with lids
- Ensure cardboard boxes are closed and taped – there must be no opportunity for an unwanted pest to access the box in transit
- Ensure all footwear and gear is clean and free of soil
- Check any camping or overnight gear for stowaways. Gear that has been stored is high risk
- Check seedlings, potting mix or plant matter to ensure there are no hitch-hikers
- Seal up your gear/food as soon as you have finished packing and leaved them closed till to reach your destination
When you arrive on a pest-free island, you may be met by rangers to recheck your gear. For more information please visit: www.treasureislands.co.nz for further information on biosecurity.
For more information regarding biosecurity requirements for charters to pest-free DOC managed islands (Rangitoto, Motutapu, Motuihe) contact Carol Nanning, Service Ranger - Island Biosecurity, on mobile 027 777 2443 or email email@example.com