Help keep our Hauraki Gulf islands pest-free
Our vehicle and passenger ferries are licensed by DOC and the Auckland Council to visit pest-free conservation islands and other islands in the Hauraki Gulf.
Prepare for your trip by being alert for stowaways such as: Argentine ants, rainbow skinks, soil, seeds, mice or rats.
Protect our wildlife:
- Make sure all food is packed and sealed in plastic rodent proof containers with lids
- Ensure cardboard boxes are closed and taped – there must be no opportunity for an unwanted pest to access the box in transit
- Ensure all footwear and gear is clean and free of soil (shoe cleaners available behind the Half Moon Bay ferry terminal and at the front of the Wynyard Wharf ferry terminal)
- Check any camping or overnight gear for stowaways. Gear that has been stored is high risk
- Check seedlings, potting mix or plant matter to ensure there are no hitch-hikers
- Seal up your gear/food as soon as you have finished packing and leaved them closed till to reach your destination
When you arrive on a pest-free island, you may be met by rangers to recheck your gear. For more information please visit: www.treasureislands.co.nz for further information on biosecurity.
For more information regarding biosecurity requirements for charters to pest-free DOC managed islands (Rangitoto, Motutapu, Motuihe) contact Carol Nanning, Service Ranger - Island Biosecurity, on mobile 027 777 2443 or email firstname.lastname@example.org